Sutherland Early Support Service
An Early Intervention Volunteer Home Visiting program to support mothers with new babies.
Trained volunteers are carefully selected and supervised by the co-ordinators to visit families in their own homes.
SESS Mission ......
To improve the quality of life for families with newborns and
young children and building a healthier community.
SESS Goals .....
• To decrease family stress and reduce/prevent future crises
• Provide an understanding of child development and behaviour
• Reduce social isolation
• Increase self-esteem, confidence and access to additional services
• Create a caring inclusive community by linking people together
"The first three years of life are critical for children’s development.
Research shows that not only children’s emotional and physical growth but
also their neurological development is affected by their experiences during
these years. Neurological development plays a significant role in a child’s
capacity to learn to cope with stressful situations and to interact socially in later life."
- Perry 1993, Families First Resource Kit